Monday, November 15, 2010

Blog 15

The reading in RT this week was very interesting.  First, I thought that bringing up Virginia Woolf was interesting.  I know she's considered one of the best female writers of the 20th century, but I can't stand her books.  I haven't read anything that she's said about rhetoric, but I have trouble imagining she had anything spectacular to say about it given her novels, which I can never really understand or find the point of.  I always wanted to like her, but now I've read to of her books and continue to be lost as to why people love her so much.

The second point I thought was interesting about the beginning of rhetoric in the 20th century was that they mention African American rhetoric as well as Black English being considered a dialect.  This whole section kind of made me mad because I don't really understand why African American rhetoric should be categorized separately from other rhetoric, I mean there isn't a section for American female rhetoric or American lower class rhetoric.  I feel that everything should be included in rhetoric coming out of the United States, at least in my opinion separations like that reinforce racism and people will never change if we continue to be grouped based on race when it comes to every single thing.  People are always going to be racist when we're used to dividing people based on race which genetics prove is not a legit way to categorize people, and in rhetoric it should be no different.  People don't feel the need to teach Southern English or West Coast English or any other accent and combination of slang usage, and I think most people view the teaching of ebonics as a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment